Transfer 13 Week 2

I don't feel like anything happened from last week until now, but I know that a lot did happen! 
This week has been crazy, I have truly seen the hand of the Lord in my life this week, without a doubt. 

Even though we haven't had a lot of time on the Square or in the TC, the Lord is still providing us with amazing people and opportunities to teach the gospel and it has been so amazing to see it. 
He really does provide miracles as we have faith in Him! 

Last week something amazing happened! ANDY GOT BAPTIZED! 
Sister Christensen and I had met Andy my 3rd day back on Temple Square, he was just a shy kid that was a little hesitant to meet with missionaries and to let us call him. 
We never had a lesson with him over the phone, we only ever taught him over text, helping him grow in his testimony as he read the scriptures and really came to know that it is all true. 
We really just constantly invited him to read the Book of Mormon, to go to church and to meet with the missionaries in his area, giving him comfort that all would be well! 
He text us one night saying he had been thinking about getting baptized and it happened! & the night before his baptism he sent us a text telling us how grateful he was for us pushing him to to get to the point where he is in his life, that he couldn't have done it without us constantly reminding him to read the Book of Mormon, to go to church and meet the missionaries, he expressed his gratitude for everything we had done to help him and it was in that moment that I realized it was the little things we did. 
We didn't teach him this super powerful lesson where the Spirit filled the room and we were all in tears, nope... It was simple reminders and invitations to do the things that would help him come closer to Christ and sometimes that's all it takes. 
I realized in that moment that we fulfill our purpose as missionaries in more ways than we realize!

I met a guy at one of the desks in the South Visitor Center. We talked about the pioneers, shared stories and I asked him why he thinks they would do everything they did and really tried to get him to put himself in their shoes, he said they must have had a lot of faith. I then felt inspired to ask him what his current relationship with Jesus Christ is, and he didn't know what to say. He explained that he grew up christian but fell away and that he doesn't really have one, but is looking for it. I asked "Do you want to know the greatest secret to coming to develop a relationship with Christ?" he said yes and I pulled out my Book of Mormon. I shared my story and it really touched him. We read parts of 3 Nephi and it created hope in him that he could have this, that he could spiritually have an experience like the Nephites did in 3 Nephi 11:15 in touching the prints of the nails in his hands and feet. This gave him so much hope and when I offered the Book of Mormon to him it was like he couldn't get it in his hands fast enough. It was a tender moment to really help someone search for and develop that hope! It's experiences like this that make me realize how amazing it is to be a missionary! 

It is amazing to see how the Lord prepares people to receive the gospel, I have really gained a testimony that everyone is ready to one degree or another, we just need to find the thing that they are searching for, if it be to regain a relationship with Christ that may seem to be lost, if it be comfort in knowing where we go after this life, if it is knowing that families can be together forever, that there is another book of scripture in the world or that God has called a prophet again. I have seen so many hearts soften when they realize that in the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ we have the answers, and we are more than willing to give it to them! However, the hard part is, they can't take our word for it! They have to come to now it for themselves, and that's where we help them. To be their guides in looking for truth and receiving those answers from on High for themselves. 

I love this work, I love being able to help people find the answers to the questions they have deep in their hearts, I love wearing the Savior's name on my heart each day! I was looking through the emails of a friend when he went home from his mission a while ago and he said, 
"Remember, every morning you wake up, we're at war, in the service of God. But there is so much joy to be found." and I know it's so true! This is the best work we will ever do and we have to give it our all! Giving everything we have to the Lord so that he can purify us and make us better and stronger than ever! (Helaman 3:35)

Love, Sister Ryan 

No comments:

Post a Comment